Thursday, January 14, 2010

No Mother-of-the-Year Nominee in this House

What a day.. what a week I might say. Seems like this week has been full of surprises.. and might I add not good surprises! We lost our football coach, UPS laid off 1,800 people in management which means that job promotion front isn't looking too good so that coupled with a little unforseen, unfair, unwelcomed expenses made for a bunch of rough surprises... But, we have managed to avoid medication and professional therapy. We were trucking right along.. trying to keep our chins help high... Until.. last night... our little sweet pea came down with her first fever. :(

As you all well know Miss Grace Anne has been fighting a stuffy nose but she had not had a fever at all. She seemed really fussy and really warm -- mom's intuition said fever... and thermometers don't lie. After talking to the on-call nurse I learned that shots can cause a mild fever (which explains the Infant Tylenol coupon the nurse gave us at our doctor's visit!). The nurse warned that she could be sluggish or have a lack of appetite for up to 48 hours after shots. I rushed to buy Infant Tylenol, gave her a dose and hoped she would feel better. The Tylenol seemed to help and she slept well until about 1am when the crying began full and the screaming.. whoa.. rough night. I was exhausted and probably should have woken Daddy up.. but didn't-- after all, he had managed to sleep through all this...

At 5am this morning little Miss Wiggle Worm wiggled off the guest bed. I had been laying in the guest bed and got up, laid her on the bed from the bouncy seat, turned my head... and BAM she wiggled off! My 2 month old baby girl was flat on the floor -- she had fallen.. I had let her fall right off the dang bed! THE BED! I was hysterical. She cried for 3 minutes and acted normal. I didn't know what to do, but my horrific feeling lasted much longer than those 3 minutes! I was officially the worse mother in the world! I tried to get Kris to weigh in on the situation, but had no luck. Finally after 15 minutes of mere panic (that seemed like 3 hours) I called the on call nurse. While I waited on the return call, Grace Anne took a whole feeding, she smiled, and stretched -- she seemed perfectly normal. The nurse said I would probably be fine waiting until the office opened, rather than rushing to the ER. She said she'd leave that decision up to me. Well of course I tried again to get Kris to weigh in... after several attempts Daddy woke up and determined we could wait until the office opened. Needless to say, that's exactly where we went first thing. The doctor said she looked fine. He told us to watch for losing her appetite, sleeping or acting sluggish more than normal or vomiting. He said if we noticed these symptoms within the next 24 hours to call him ASAP. Of course I was thinking how do I know if she has a head injury or its a reaction to shots. What poor timing to decide to be the worse Mom of the century!

By lunch time she was not very active, had skipped a feeding, and I found myself force feeding her, which is unusual. When she wasn't sleeping she was screaming and crying (not her typical style). After finally getting her to take 2 oz. I realized it was all coming back up. She was sound asleep before I could even clean her up! I called the doctor back and he said to come on in. He could tell she was much more lackadaisical than the morning.. of course neither of us slept much during the night and she had an eventful morning. He still saw no bumps or bruises, but decided it'd be best if we went for a CT Scan. I am all about erring on the side of caution (as ironic as that sounds since I was the idiot who laid her on the bed and started this mess). He wrote the orders and then sent us on our way to Children's Hospital. I called Daddy and insisted he not leave work early but to just head to the hospital after he got off.
We arrived at the hospital and went to check in. At that very moment in time I realized it was real. I was nervous, scared, and felt terrible. I needed Daddy.. heck I needed my Mama! But.. I'm strong and didn't show any fear. We checked in, got her hospital bracelet (or anklet rather) and went to radiology to wait. We were lucky that the pediatrician had called it in as an emergency so we didn't wait long. Daddy wasn't there when we went back. They put my sweet little girl in a positioner and it was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I was so sad for her. I put on my anti-radiation apron and stood right by her side. I got to put my hand at the very edge of her cheek to calm her and keep her still. She was perfect and didn't move. After she went through the scan the radiologist tech said we were done. I thought "DONE!?" how could we possibly be done.. what about the doctor and the results. She told me that Grace Anne's doctor would call tonight or tomorrow or sometime. HELLO.. this is my child we are talking about! So, I asked if the radiologist would read the results immediatly or not..? She looked at me and said "well there isn't a radiologist here right now." I was stunned when we left. Daddy wasn't there yet and I told him we'd just meet him at home. Of course he was very concerned and wanted to see his baby girl!

A couple hours later the doctor called and said that Grace Anne's results came back negative. She is apparently just tired and sluggish from the vaccines. I felt relieved to know that I didn't cause any permanent damage. Whooooooo! That's reassuring.

The pretty girl is sleeping and smiling now. She seems fine, just tired, sluggish, and a little fussy.
Mommy is feeling better since Daddy has reassured her she really isn't an idiot and is defiantly not the worst mother on earth!

We do want to extent a "Thank You" to everyone for your concerns, text messages, thoughts, prayers, nosiness, phone calls, and facebook status comments! We have a wonderful network of fans (also known as friends and family) and Grace Anne is lucky to have each and every follower!



No comments:

Post a Comment