Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Elmo... Really?
Never ever in my life did I think I'd be buying Elmo toys. I thought Tickle Me Elmo (circa 1996) was possibly the most annoying Christmas craze in the past two decades (which might I remind you that the past two decades consists of the majority of my life)! I like Sesame Street and actually find it to be a lot better than most cartoons or kids shows... but Elmo has never been high on my list. Well, times have changed because my child loves ELMO!
It all began before the move.. Grace Anne and I were in Atlanta and she fell in love with this toy that Davis had. It was an Elmo kitchen toy and I thought it was a good idea since it went on the refrigerator . Well, when we got to Texas I bought her the toy. She loved it and really loved the Elmo phrases and songs! She danced and laughed everytime she heard him. We could be in the kitchen and push his "chef's hat" (which makes him "talk") and she'd be crawling straight for him... no matter where she was at the time! It was crazy! So we began showing her Elmo toys in the stores and she laughed every time. Eventually I started turning on Sesame Street... (the TV is rarely on during the day... I'm not a huge TV fan and I forget about it).... So, Grace Anne doesn't show a whole lot of interest in the TV until she hears the Elmo's World segment and then she is glued-- watching, chatting, dancing... (though she doesn't need a wardrobe or any room decor featuring Elmo! I'm not into character tee's --even though she has one from Old Navy that Daddy insisted she needed-- or heaven forbid that hideous character bedding/wall decor etc.) It's kind of funny now and I've accepted her love for the fuzzy red guy! We walked in Toys R Us today and Kris was holding her up to an Elmo and a Cookie Monster. She examined both closely then reached for the Elmo. She always points to Elmo on books or boxes. She's a true fan. I'm thinking she's like a Elmo groupie... what a rebel!



No comments:

Post a Comment