Wednesday, September 15, 2010

TEXAS UPDATE...
We have been in Texas for nearly a month... can you believe it? We are learning so much and enjoying our new cultural experiences! Please allow me to enlighten you. To begin with... I love the grocery. The grocery stores consist of Sun Harvest Market, Wal-Mart, and HEB (pronounced H-E-B... but the locals say the E so fast I think they sound like they are saying H-B). Sun Harvest has A-M-A-Zing produce... like pineapples for $1.50... cantaloupes for 50 cents.. watermelons for $2.75. and apples for 88 cents a pound... Oh and they have really yummy muffins! But for hardcore grocery shopping.. HEB wins the cake! I love HEB! Now, you are asking how this relates to being a cultural experience... I'm about to fill you in... HEB is packed with Hispanic foods. There is a tortilla press/maker right there in the bakery of the store...how authentic is that? I really enjoy seeing all the stuff in HEB.. my Mom and Granny would be so proud (both of them believed that a vacation wasn't complete until you checked out the local grocery)


Now, on the down side... My only real complaint about Texas is the Target.. it stinks. The ones in San Antonio are much better, but I'm unable to visit them on markdown day.. which is basically what I live for ya know? I met a nice lady in the Corpus Christi Target and she told me there was a Target in Victoria, TX (which isn't nearly as quaint, cute, and pretty as one might think). This lady was super nice and turns out she knew about the markdown days and had been disappointed in this Target for the past 2 years...(the amount of time she has lived here!). Ironically enough, she was from Memphis and had a daughter at UTK! Small world!

Finally, Monday we decided that we would tag along with Daddy to his furthest store. I really wanted to go to Target and a few baby stores. We dropped Daddyo off at his store and we headed to Target.. and actually found a couple deals... I noticed several mosquitos and brushed it off. We walked over to Ross and noticed the sidewalk was covered in cockroaches. They didn't stay on the sidewalk either.. they were all in the light fixtures, crawling across the floor... hundreds of them! It was absolutely disgusting! The employees didn't seem phased and were just sweeping them up.. alive.. and putting them in trash bags! We left and were thrilled to pick Daddy up and leave Victoria! Daddy was covered in mosquito bites and excited to hit the road as well! Targeting in Victoria will have to be postponed until the bugs leave!

As for Grace Anne... she is very active and meeting lots of new friends. We are staying very active and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment