Thursday, May 31, 2012

P is for Potty.
Okay so we didn't really do a letter this week because learning to go to the big girl potty was enough of a lesson! I just want to state for the record that I did NOT want to potty train. I was dreading it... avoiding it like the plague. I was willing to pay someone or let Grace Anne wear diapers until Kindergarten.. college even. This is the one thing as a "Mommy" that I really didn't want to do. I waited as long as I could and realized I should give it a whirl. We are in town for a little while and she seemed "ready" by the expert's standards. 

So here is the thing... when you start talking or thinking about potty training you discover 1. there are 400 methods and 2. everyone has an opinion (again.. unsolicited advice.. great). One popular method is the 3-Day Potty Training. Crazy, right? The thought of staying at home 3 days in a row was nauseating to me! I may be a S.A.H.M but I wasn't meant to literally stay at home! I found a 1-Day plan on pinterest and I knew right away that was too good to be true. So I read the 3-Day book and decided that'd be a good jump start. I knew that it wouldn't be perfect but tried to plan on following the rules... which for the most part we did.. I think. 

We started on Memorial Day.. cookouts, pool, beach.. no thanks we will lock ourselves in our house and stare at our 2 1/2 year old waiting on any indication that she needs to go potty... while also avoiding accidents etc. Doesn't that sound fun? So Kris and I did just that. It was miserable in every way possible. At one point, I texted a few of my really good friends and told them I'd rather go through child birth than potty train-- at least you have the option to be drugged. The thing is.. she did really great. She had like 2 accidents the first day. She stayed dry through her nap and she started realizing she needed to potty -- she caught on and was doing pretty good. (Even though she asked for "diapees" a few times) The second day she did well too... and the third. The only problem we are facing is the "poop issue." (yes, I said poop.. its a blog about a 2 year old-- it's unavoidable). The first day she did it all by herself and told us when she was done. Since then its been a struggle! But, at least she isn't going in her panties because I'm not so sure I could handle much of that! I've determined that the most miserable part is being under house arrest (I actually left for about 1 hour on Day 2 and Day 3-- Thanks Daddy-o for helping me maintain my sanity!!). I don't like the feeling of being trapped. I also don't like that the convenience of diapers is gone.. but I'll be glad to not have to change them.. and even happier to not have to buy them!!! 
 
Today (Day 4) -- we are going to venture out. Here's to hoping the success continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment